The proper handling of raw materials in food production ensures the quality of the final product. In the following, we will explore the essential requirements to guarantee a process with excellence.
Thisis an essential element in any food manufacturing process. Certainly, its selection is an essential step prior to production. It is intended to ensure that the quality of products and ingredients meets proper standards (He et al., 2022).
A precise and efficient selection allows to:
- Enhance the quality of the final products and productivity.
- Conserving energy.
- Minimize the use of resources in subsequent stages of production.
Raw materials: handling and processing requirements
So as to obtain quality and safety in the final product, it is important to have essential requirements. According to Grandison, these are the basic ones (2015):
- First, in the case of foods such as fruits and purees, everything must start with rigorous quality control to confirm that the required standards are met. Among the most important tests are:
- Visual inspection.
- Chemical analysis.
- Laboratory tests.
- On the other hand, hygiene is a major component in handling and processing. Facilities and personnel must comply with hygienic standards to prevent contamination.
- In addition, they must be stored correctly to preserve their quality and freshness. This involves controlling temperature, humidity and storage.
- Processing procedures will be carried out following standardized methods and protocols.
- Traceability is also crucial for tracking from origin to final destination.
According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), there are several regulations for handling and processing:
- Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) that establish requirements for personal hygiene, cleanliness and maintenance of facilities and equipment (FDA, 2020).
- The Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) system identifies and manages significant food safety hazards (FDA, 2022).
- Regulations on traceability systems to trace products from origin to point of sale (FDA, 2023).
Certainly, by following these requirements, companies can ensure that they handle and transform effectively; ensuring quality, safety and consistency in their final products.
Final tips for raw materials processing
Finally, optimizing the use of thiswill help increase productivity and minimize waste. Some recommendations to achieve this goal include:
- Correct storage of food according to its characteristics.
- Practice the “first in, first out” inventory method.
- Strategic and efficient production planning.
- Constantly review how handling and transformation processes can be improved.
In conclusion, by following these tips, you will get the most out of your raw materials, improving the efficiency and profitability of your food production.
- FDA (2020). Current Good Manufacturing Practices (CGMPs) for Food and Dietary Supplements. U.S FOOD & DRUG
- FDA (2022). Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP). U.S FOOD & DRUG
- FDA (2023). FSMA Final Rule on Requirements for Additional Traceability Records for Certain Foods.
- Grandison, A. (2015). Postharvest Handling and Preparation of Foods for Processing. In J. Brennan, Food Processing Handbook (pp. 1-31). Retrieved from https://application.wiley-vch.de/books/sample/3527324682_c01.pdf He, X., Zhang, et al. (2022). Optimization Model of Raw Material Selection Process for Complex Industry Based on Improved Sequential Quadratic Programming Algorithm. International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems.